There are many laws and campus regulations concerning firearms possession and use on campus. Here you will find information on the RCW’s and WAC in addition to firearms safety and storage on campus.
The State of Washington has many laws regarding the possession and use of firearms. You can find a link to all applicable laws on firearms and dangerous weapons below.
No student may carry, possess, or use any firearm, explosive (including fireworks), dangerous chemical, or any dangerous weapon on university property or in university-approved housing. Airsoft guns and other items that shoot projectiles are not permitted in university-approved housing. Students wishing to maintain a firearm on campus for hunting or sporting activities must store the firearm with the Washington State University department of public safety
Washington State University Police Department does not process CPL applications. If you live in the city limits and wish to apply for a CPL you may do so at the City of Pullman Police Department.
PPD will process original CPL applications, which require fingerprinting, Monday-Friday from 9:00am-11:00am and 1:00pm-4:00pm (renewal and replacement CPL applications can be processed at any time, 24 hours a day)
You must be at least 21 years of age and a citizen of the US or an immigrant alien lawfully admitted into the US
For more information please visit:
WSUPD offers a safe place for you to store your firearm/s while you are on campus. Whether you live on campus or are just going to class, we will store your weapons, free of charge.
The gun check window is located on the south side of the Public Safety Building and can be access 24 hours a day. There you will see a call box which connects directly to our dispatch center. When using the call box, press the button and wait for a dispatcher to answer. You will be asked a couple of questions and then an officer will be dispatched to assist you.
Rules of a Gun Check:
- All weapons must be unloaded
- If you have your firearm in a locked case, make sure and bring the key with you so the officer can verify the serial number
- Your firearm does not need to be in a case to be left at WSUPD
- You may store as many firearms as you would like
- We DO NOT store ammunition
- You may check your firearm in and out as many times as you would like
If you have any questions regarding the gun check procedure feel free to call WSUPD at 509-335-8548 before bringing your firearm on campus.
- Always treat all guns as if they are loaded
- Never point the weapon at anything you dont intend to shoot
- Keep your trigger finger indexed above the trigger guard until you are on target and have made the decision to shoot
- Be sure of your target, as well as the surroundings and beyond
For more information on firearms safety please visit: